While FIELDS stores have been around since 1948 and are rich in history, we’ve been under new management since May 2012. Our vision is to proudly serve our community, customers and each other–and to help our customers live a better life for less. We’re Canadian owned, growing quickly and are looking for amazing people to join our FIELDS family.
We are currently looking for a Staff Accountant to join our dynamic and highly energetic team. The Staff Accountant reports directly to the company’s Controller. The role of this position is to manage and supervise the Accounts Payable Team and assist the Controller in performing various financial functions such as bank reconciliations, cash disbursements, month end close process, financial analytics and suggest improvements in the organization’s processes.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Work in, supervise and manage a team of 3 Accounts Payable Finance Associates
- Ensure accuracy in entering daily invoices and meeting time limits
- Resolve escalated vendor issues
- Ascertain the accuracy of accounts payable sub ledger with the GL balance with specific attention drawn to tobacco invoice entry and application of pre-authorized debits to ensure AP balances are reflected accurately.
- Assist with month end closing entries for AP and undertake analytical exercises on AP data
- Oversee expense claims and all other expenditure flowing through AP for compliance with budgets and give recommendations on discrepancies as often as necessary
- Assist Auditors and finance team with information and explanations required for year end and interim audits.
- Ensure that weekly cheque runs are completed based on departmental guidelines and distribution of the payments either via cheques and/or wires/EFTs are done in a consistent and timely manner.
- Ensure that specific inventory receiving processes for specific product groups are being followed and completed in a consistent and timely manner.
- Ensure that bank Reconciliations are done on a daily basis.
- Ensure that daily bank transfers are done on a daily basis.
- Build good and strong relationships within the vendor community especially at their accounting levels and also within FIELDS
- Stand in as a back-up for all inventory and Tobacco related matters.
- Execute existing operations and processes in AP
- Review existing operations and process in AP and provide recommendations for improvement
- Degree such as BBA from an authorized institution in finance, business administration, accounting, economics or other closely related courses; CGA/CPA/CMA is an asset but not a mandatory requirement for this position.
- Intermediate to Expert level experience in MS Excel
- Experience in the use of Tier 2 ERP systems
- Experience with office automation and email systems such as MS Outlook
- Ability or experience in managing 1-3 accounting Senior
NOTE: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. The team member may be required to perform other related duties to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
- Attention to detail and staying organized at all times
- Effective Time management and workload efficiency skills
- Persistence in finishing projects despite hindrances/challenges
- Sufficient experience in professional supervisory procedures
- Being conversant with internal control procedures and concepts
- Ability to delegate duties, tasks, reports, and proposals as required during the discharge of duties
- Readiness to go the extra mile and to avoid mistakes and create new opportunities
- Ability to work well with everyone in the organization
We look forward to hearing from you and joining our team. Please send your cover letter and resume at
- Competitive salary
- Opportunities for career advancement
- Challenging and engaging work
- Values oriented culture
and mention Staff Accountant in the subject line of the email. The position will remain open until a suitable candidate is engaged.
FIELDS is a proud recipient of the Rotary “Inclusive Employer” award for exemplifying diversity in the workplace and is ranked amongst the top 100 privately owned companies in BC by Business In Vancouver.