While FIELDS stores have been around since 1948 and are rich in history, we’ve been under new management since May 2012. Our vision is to proudly serve our community, customers and each other–and to help our customers live a better life for less. We’re Canadian owned, growing quickly and are looking for amazing people to join our FIELDS family.
We are currently looking for a Staff Accountant to join our dynamic and highly energetic team. The Staff Accountant reports directly to the Finance Manager. The role of this position is to work with the Accounts Payable Team and assist the Finance Manager in performing various financial functions such as bank reconciliations, cash disbursements, month end close process, financial analytics and suggest improvements in the organization’s processes.
Roles and Responsibilities
Financial Reporting and Analysis
Accounts Payable and Inventory
- Assist Finance Manager in month end tasks and account reconciliation
- Assist in Financial Statement preparation and variance analysis
- Assist in annual budget preparation
- Assist in month end closing entries for Accounts Payable and analysis for exceptions
- Manage the Accounts Payable subledger to ensure accuracy and completeness (we can emphasize tobacco and PAD here)
- Ensure that weekly cheque runs are completed based on departmental guidelines and distribution of the payments either via cheques and/or wires/EFTs are done in a consistent and timely manner
- Resolve escalated vendor issues
- Build good and strong relationships within the with our counterparts in the vendor community
- Transition to main Inventory accounting associate
- Ensure that specific inventory receiving processes for specific product groups are being followed and completed in a consistent and timely manner
- Participate in periodic inventory counts and audits
- Ensure that Bank Reconciliations are done on a daily basis
- Ensure that Bank Transfers are done on a daily basis
- Support the Finance and Audit team during year end and interim audits
- Degree such as BBA from an authorized institution in finance, business administration, accounting, economics or other closely related courses; CGA/CPA/CMA is an asset but not a mandatory requirement for this position.
- Intermediate to Expert level experience in MS Excel
- Experience in the use of Tier 2 ERP systems
- Experience with office automation and email systems such as MS Outlook
- Ability to build relationships with internal and external customers
NOTE: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. The team member may be required to perform other related duties to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
- Attention to detail and staying organized at all times
- Effective Time management and workload efficiency skills
- Persistence in finishing projects despite hindrances/challenges
- Sufficient experience in professional supervisory procedures
- Being conversant with internal control procedures and concepts
- Ability to delegate duties, tasks, reports, and proposals as required during the discharge of duties
- Readiness to go the extra mile and to avoid mistakes and create new opportunities
- Ability to work well with everyone in the organization
We look forward to hearing from you and joining our team. Please send your cover letter and resume at
- Competitive salary
- Opportunities for career advancement
- Challenging and engaging work
- Values oriented culture
and mention Staff Accountant in the subject line of the email. The position will remain open until a suitable candidate is engaged.
FIELDS is a proud recipient of the Rotary “Inclusive Employer” award for exemplifying diversity in the workplace and is ranked amongst the top 100 privately owned companies in BC by Business In Vancouver.